Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Conservative VS. Liberal outlook on Julian Castro



At first, I found it a little bit difficult to find any good segments on television or in the media that looked at Castro in a more conservative way. Throughout this entire semester, almost everything that I have found on him is looked at in a positive light. Castro is almost always considered this new rising star in the democratic world that is going to do great things in the future. After I looked around for a while, I found an article online on, “The Daily Beast” that was sort of viewing him in a negative and more conservative way. I also found a television segment on ABC news discussing Castro and Dan Patrick’s debate over immigration that was most definitely seen in a more liberal matter. Between the two pieces, there was a pretty large difference.


The article written in the more conservative tense almost made it seem like Castro was privileged, and did not deserve to be where he is today. The article is written about how Castro was basically being brought up to become the Vice President to Hilary Clinton for the 2016 presidential election. The title of the article is, “Julian Castro is in VP Training Camp” with the very first line of the article stating, “He apologized for the makeup still half-caked on his face”. Within the very first line you can tell that this article isn’t necessarily going to be in his favor. After reading the entire article, to me, it seems like they are saying that he isn’t really qualified for being a VP and is only going to be potentially given that position because he is liked by President Obama.

The more liberal segment I found on television was a piece on Castro’s debate with Dan Patrick on immigration. The segment on ABC was just a recap of the debate, with some of the interview placed in. It was quite obvious that the segment was more liberal because they were taking parts of the article that Castro was clearly winning, or was right compared to Patrick. They also showed numerous times when the audience began to applaud Castro for his point of view which just made Patrick look ignorant, and wrong.

In general, I think there are some pretty clear indications that he was being portrayed differently between the two media stories. On the conservative story, they are clearly rooting against him and act like he is just there as Obamas pride and joy. On the more liberal story, they should who Castro really is and what he represents. I would have to say that the conservative piece on him seems unfair because he worked hard to get to the position that he is in. It was not totally biased against him because they did mention some of his accomplishments, but not really in a positive matter. If someone were to only see the article on The Daily Beast, they would think that Castro is a good politician, but not somebody that is fit for a VP position, which I think many people would disagree with.





2 comments:

  1. How should a person respond when faced with two opposing views?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Daily Beast described him as a potential VP for Hillary Clinton. Do you think that all the negative press coverage will determine his future success?

    ReplyDelete