There
have been a couple of outside opinions that I was able to find on Julian
Castro. There were some good, and some bad. Not ever outside review of a politician
is going to be the same or going to be positive. I found an interview with Jon
Stewart on his television show, and a news article about Castro when he was
just elected as the secretary of Housing and Urban Development. The first piece
I found with Jon Stewart was more of a positive interview rather than negative,
and the second part which was the news article definitely seemed to be a
negative review about the future of Julian Castro.
The
interview with Jon Stewart seemed to have an overall positive impact on Castro.
Stewart was asking him some pretty simple questions that were easy for Castro
to answer, and also somewhat interesting. Knowing Stewart, he obviously was
making fun of Castro a few times and tried slipping him up with a couple of his
answers but it was clear that it was all fun. I think he went on the show to basically
show his already known qualifications, and to show that he can answer questions
well. In general, I think that this interview helped his image and showed a
more relaxed and humorous side of him that many people might not have seen
before.
Like
I mentioned earlier, not every review on a politician can be a positive one.
This article written about Castro by an apparent friend and supporter on USA
Today criticizes his future work as the secretary of Housing and Urban
Development. He talks about how Castro is too young, should stay as mayor in
San Antonio, and even mentions his Latino background. I think that this was a
very bold article to write, especially from a person that apparently is a large
Castro supporter. The article describes Castro as somebody that is totally under-qualified
even though he has plenty of national recognition. The article is 100% against
him for his new position in Washington. When dealing with his public image,
this article definitely sets him back a little bit. If it were written by some
smalltime newspaper, it wouldn’t really matter but its USA Today which is a big
deal. Castro has gone though a lot to get where he is today, and this article
just tries to take away the majority of his credit. It doesn’t say he is a bad
Mayor, but it just talks about how he should not be getting the position that
he had just received. I don’t think this article impacted Castro that much, and
was just a minor set back for him. He is a young, motivated guy so something
like this might bring him some negative criticism, but nothing that he won’t be
able to handle. There are negative reviews or articles about every politician
out there, and this was the worst one I could find. I think Castro will be just
fine.


If this article did, for some reason, have a major effect on you candidate, how do you think he should work to bring up his image?
ReplyDeleteSince there are so many good and bad representations of your candidate, how has Castro refuted or defended his beliefs after the bad articles?
ReplyDelete