Julian
Castro does not have as big of a presence on social media as many of the other
candidates. I browsed around on the internet for a little while researching
some information about him, and it seems like the majority of the bold info on
him is coming from third parties. He has a Facebook, Twitter, and his own
website but that was really about it. He has no Instagram, or YouTube channel
which was actually pretty surprising to me. His website is very well designed,
but to win a presidential election this isn’t going to cut it.
I
decided to look through some of his Facebook and Twitter posts, which were
actually pretty informative about Castro. He was sharing a lot of good
information about himself and about what his plans were when he was active as
mayor. He also posted a lot about his family, and how he recently had a baby
boy. I believe that posts like this will bring an emotional appeal towards voters that take family into account when viewing candidates. Although most of the information that was posts is useful for his
campaign, his Facebook is lacking in an overall amount of posts. His Facebook
wall has little to no posts within the last year, which I think is going to
affect him in the long run. Towards the beginning of 2014, he posted much more
frequently until about August. I’m not quite sure why there was such a large
downfall in posts, but that is definitely something he should change.
When
I began looking through his Twitter account, I was slightly disappointed again
with the amount of posts that he had. I really thought that since he wasn’t
being that active on Facebook he would at least be posting more to Twitter.
After scrolling through his page for some time I realized that he actually had
a second Twitter account. The original one that I found was just his regular
Twitter page, and the second was as Secretary Castro. His regular Twitter
account, which is the first page I looked at, was basically the opposite as his
Secretary Castro account. He posts numerous times throughout the day every day.
He posts pictures, thoughts, and articles that are all relevant to his campaign
and concerns. He also posts about Obama, which is a good idea since the
President is a big supporter of Castro.
There are many other useful websites
other than his own that are in support of him. I have been using many different
resources over the last few weeks that are definitely led by third parties.
Some of them are governmental websites, like the Department of Housing and
Urban Development website but there are other good ones as well. I think one of
the strongest things that his own website does is list his accomplishments in
various sections from health and fitness to economic.
Overall, Castro does a great job with his
Twitter account. He needs to gain followers though, which I think will be
easier once people realize that his main activity is coming from his newer,
Secretary Castro account. His old Twitter page still has more followers than
his new one, but as the election grows closer it’ll be easier for him to do so.
One of the biggest suggestions that I have for Castro would definitely be for
him to step up his Facebook game. Facebook and Twitter go together hand and
hand so it definitely should not be used this much less as his Twitter account;
especially in the future when the candidates start to announce their campaigns.
https://twitter.com/juliancastro
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Julian-Castro/97458155742
http://www.mayorcastro.com/
http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/about/principal_staff/secretary_castro




Great post! You mentioned that Castro has two twitter accounts, do you think he should delete his older account even though it has more followers? Or even create a whole new one around his presidential candidacy?
ReplyDeleteI like how you strategically placed your pictures to break up your thoughts, it made it really easy/enjoyable to follow. What do you think Castro should do about his declining posts?
ReplyDeleteThis was a good analysis. I think Castro has a decent start but he definitely needs to step up his social media game. One good way he can do this is to just always be around. Get on tv as much as possible, this will boost his youtube presence and provide some good social media fodder. An Instagram account could give a good edge on other politicians who have been slow to get on that trend. Tweet a lot and post videos to his own youtube channel, that would probably be best way to boost his presence.
ReplyDeleteTo be honest, I had no idea who Castro was, before reading this blog. What do you think he needs to do to boost his popularity if he decides to run in 2016? Social Media? Ads?
ReplyDelete